Friday, February 18, 2011

Making Connections

Have you ever noticed that many young children get fidgety when you read to them? Children (and let's face it, adults!) like to actively engage with their environment. And just like you and I, young children are capable of listening while "fidgeting" with something. Do you doodle at workshops? I do... and when I doodle I have a much easier time staying focused. Think of it the same way with your students... some people just need to move and "do" at all times.

I think I am particularly sensitive about this because I understand it. And when I was in the classroom I tried really hard to provide some kind of tangible object that I could pass out to the kids who wanted or needed it. It can be really simple... here are some quick examples: when talking about outer-space, hand out little pom-poms (planets, stars, moons); when taking about snow or winter, hand out pieces of cotton (snow); when talking about construction hand out little rocks; when talking about Fall hand out acorns or leaves... the list goes on and on. When I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar I handed out foods from dramatic play; when I read Caps for Sale I handed out paper hats that we'd made; when I read Blueberies for Sal I handed out plastic grapes. The children don't care if the object is exactly like the object that is in the book. They like the connection though, and it helps make it concrete for them. Use your imagination and the sky is the limit. What can you turn cotton or pom poms into? Please share your ideas in the comments below! :)

Also, below are a couple of pictures of things that were made to accompany books. They are simple and inexpensive... have fun and be creative!

What can you do to make your stories come to life?


These are construction paper sea animals to accompany the book Swimmy by Leo Lionni.



These are felt pieces to accompany The Jacket I Wear in the Snow.



The cast from Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with giving them something to fidget with or some other visual to keep them engaged other than just the book. I finally had to tell myself that I'd rather have a child playing with something related to the story as opposed to a shoelace or mulch on the carpet. :) These are great ideas!

    ReplyDelete