Saturday, February 5, 2011

KWL Chart

This is an example of how I used a KWL Chart in my prekindergarten classroom. For those of you that don't know, KWL stands for "Know," "Want to know," and "Learned." In this situation, we were reading Good Morning, Chick. After we'd done a picture walk I asked the children what they knew about the story, and wrote down their responses under "K." Then we discussed what they wanted to know, based on the pictures they'd seen and the information they had. I wrote their responses in the "W" column. I explained that the next day we'd read the book, and then we would have more information. The next day before I read we reviewed what we had written down in the "K" and "W" columns. After I read the story we talked about what we had learned and I wrote that down in the "L" column. Then we discussed all of the elements of the chart and made decisions about what we wanted to learn more about.

(If you click on the picture it will enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment